Firearm Safety and Practice
September 18th, 2015
Life Safety Rules
- Treat every firearm as it were loaded.
- Never point your firearm at anything you do not intend to destroy (prompt: wherever that barrel goes, there’s a laser coming out of it).
- Keep your firearm on safe until coming up on target with the intent to fire.
- Keep your finger on the slide until indexed on target and ready to shoot.
- Be aware of your targets foreground and background before you fire.
- Proper Medical Equipment (personal trauma kit)
Fundamentals of Handgun Shooting
- Stance / Position
- Draw / Presentation
- Sight Alignment The front sight evenly spaced in the rear sight and level at the top of the rear sight.
- Sight Picture - The front sight is center mass of target, evenly spaced in the rear sight and level at the top of the rear sight. The front sight should be crystal clear and the target fuzzy.
- Trigger Control - Even, crisp pressure applied to move the trigger straight to the rear of the pistol.
- Follow Through - Watch the front sight until the weapon is fired. Re-establish sight use immediately (both sight alignment and sight picture) and prepare to shoot again if necessary. Scan the surrounding area immediately for other life threatening targets.
Everything is based on four safety rules.
- Muzzle discipline. Point behind counter without pointing at anyone.
- In order to load - Magazine in, rack slide (with finger off trigger)
- When asked to unload - drop magazine, lock slide back
Keep in touch!